Pages

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

No Bake Holiday Cookies


For our families Christmas Eve celebration this year the hubby and I made No Bake Cookies. These are a little different than your typical chocolate peanut butter no bake cookies. These cookies are made with marshmallows, food coloring, and corn flakes. They are sweet and amazingly tasty. My only recommendation is to not eat all of them while making them. I normally like to try to make healthy versions, but these are a definite treat. I believe it's okay to have things like these every now and then as long as you pay attention to portion control. Having a cookie is not the end of the world, as long as you don't have 20 cookies in one sitting.


The ingredient list was pretty simple like these cookies. I used Special K Protein Flakes as my little way of saying that this recipe is totally healthy, right? Once I gathered all of my ingredients I placed my pot on the burner on medium-low heat. Start out by adding your 30 marshmallows and stick of butter to the pot and stir until melted. It probably took around 5-7 minutes of stirring until everything was fully melted. You want to make sure you keep stirring as it melts to create the right consistency. 


Once the marshmallows and butter had melted, I removed the pan from the heat and added the food coloring and vanilla. I added just enough to get to the right color for my "wreath" cookies. Once the coloring was right I slowly stirred in the corn flakes. I didn't end up using all the corn flakes the recipe called for. It's always important when making a recipe that you slowly add and adjust everything to fit your needs and make everything exactly how you want.


Once everything was completely mixed together I dropped them onto a non-stick pan 1 tablespoon at a time. I then flattened each one a little to make them look rounder before adding the candies. I chose round chocolate Sixlet candies since they looked so much like the berries you see on Christmas wreaths.

No Bake Holiday Cookies

Prep Time: 15 min
Chill Time: 30 min
Makes: 20-24 cookies

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) Unsalted Butter
  • 30 large Marshmallows (a 10-ounce bag contains 35-40)
  • 1 to 1-1/2 tsp Green Food Color
  • 1-1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 3 cups Cornflake Cereal
  • Red Chocolate Candies, for decorating
Instructions
  1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter and marshmallows over medium-low heat, stirring constantly.
  2. When melted, remove from heat and stir in food color and vanilla. Add more food coloring if desired. Stir in cornflakes. 
  3. Drop mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, onto wax paper. Decorate with Candies.
  4. Place in fridge to cool for 30 minutes.



Enjoy your cookies! These would be great altered in color to match brown Easter baskets with little eggs or red Valentines hearts. 





No comments:

Post a Comment