Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Sweet and Sour Tofu Stir Fry - Vegetarian

I am here to announce that I am a vegetarian that HATES mushrooms. I absolutely 100% hate them. The smell of mushrooms mixed with the taste of them just grosses me out. Sadly, I've noticed that many vegetarian recipes typically contain mushrooms. With that said it takes a lot of investigative work on my part as well as a little creativity for me to make/find recipes that I love. One thing as a vegetarian that I absolutely adore is any stir fry with tofu. I feel like it's my favorite way to add some extra flavor to my tofu so that my meat loving fiance will also enjoy it. I hear it all the time from friends and family that tofu is just not for them or that it just plain has no flavor. I like to prove people wrong and show them how amazing it can taste.



Recently I found a recipe from Big Girl Small Kitchen for Sweet and Sour Tofu with Bok Choy. It's delicious! I loved it so much, but at the same time I wanted to add some more color which means more vegetables. I love to throw as many vegetables as I can into any recipe that I make. Therefore I decided to take her recipe and switch it up a little.

I started out by grabbing all of my ingredients and measuring out the right amounts. Once I had that down I opened up my tofu and pressed the water out of it. I have another blog post describing exactly how to do that located here. Once the tofu wasn't soaked anymore I coated it in whole wheat flour and threw it in a pan with sunflower oil heating over medium heat.



I flipped the tofu every 3-4 minutes until it was a nice golden brown. Once the tofu was all finished I added in all my veggies. While it was cooking I mixed the lemon juice, honey, soy sauce, grated ginger, crushed garlic, and Siracha to create the super yummy sweet and sour sauce. After 3-4 minutes of the veggies and tofu cooking together I dumped in the sauce. It has to simmer for around 10 minutes till it thickens up so while that was cooking I made my brown rice. 


It smelled so good while cooking. My mouth was literally watering. I couldn't wait to put it together and enjoy my dinner. I hope you like it too!!



Do you have any stir fry recipes that are your go to dinner recipe? This one is definitely my favorite that I've had so far!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment