Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

A Healthier Egg Salad Sandwich

As a vegetarian [a.k.a. very picky person] I have to find different ways to get the protein that I need, especially when I'm working out 6 days a week with P90X3. One way for me is to eat hard boiled eggs or egg salad sandwiches. I am in love with egg salad sandwiches and deviled eggs. My only issue with them is how they aren't super super healthy due to the amount of mayonnaise in them. I was worried with my recent attempts to be a healthier me that maybe I had to fully cut out egg salad sandwiches from my diet. [insert sad face]. Well, thankfully Pinterest came to my rescue. I found a recipe on the Yummy Life and have adapted it to my taste. 

I started out by making the hardboiled eggs. The way I learned to hard boil eggs is to place your eggs in a medium pot with the water level just above the eggs. On high heat you let the eggs sit till they start to boil.


Once they begin to be at a rolling boil then you turn the heat off, leave the pot on the burner and set the timer at 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes has passed remove the pot from the heat and drain the water. I then shake the pot with the eggs in it. This helps to crack the shells and make the removal of the shells easier. 


I then fill the pot with cool water and start to peel the eggs. After everything I have just done the shells tend to almost fall off making it super easy to peel the eggs in one attempt. 


As you can see the shells came off without any pieces or chunks being ripped off the eggs. The site of perfectly peeled eggs makes me a very happy woman! I now need to chop all of my eggs in half.


Now that I have my nicely chopped in half eggs it's easier to place them in my food processor. I use a Food Network Pink Food Processor that I received last year for Christmas. I usually do 10-15 pulses until the eggs are finely chopped. Obviously, you can also just use your knife to chop them up, but I find it's easier to place them in my food processor.


Once they look like this you can place them to the side while you mix the rest of your ingredients. Mix in a bowl 1/3 cup low-fat Greek Yogurt, 1 tablespoon Olive Oil Mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon dried dill, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon Spicy Mustard, 1 tablespoon yellow mustard.


Once you have them nicely mixed you can add it to the diced eggs you sat aside earlier. And mix nicely. 


You are done. You can place on a few pieces of bread with lettuce or make a salad. I chose to make a sandwhich. It was so good. I was really impressed with how creamy it tasted even though there was so much less mayonnaise. 



Ingredients
  • 5 large eggs, boiled and peeled
  • 1/3 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill (may substitute 1 teaspoon dried dill)
  • 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
  • 1 tablespoon regular mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions
  1. Place your eggs in a medium pot with the water level just above the eggs
  2. On high heat bring the eggs to a boil
  3. Turn off the heat, while leaving the pot on the burner and set the timer for 10 minutes
  4. After 10 minutes remove the pot from the burner and drain the water
  5. Shake the pot with the lid still on over the sink
  6. Remove the lid and fill the pot with cool water.
  7. Peel the eggs, rinse the remaining shell pieces off, and dry the eggs
  8. Cut each egg in half and place in food processor bowl. Pulse 10-12 times until eggs are broken up into small pieces, being careful not to overdo it and puree the eggs. (Or, chop the eggs with a knife.) 
  9. In a separate large bowl, use a fork to whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, dill, mustards, and pepper. 
  10. Add the chopped eggs and mix lightly with the fork until well combined. 

(3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per 1/3 cup serving.)




<3 Kelly Jean




No comments:

Post a Comment