Pages

Monday, December 22, 2014

Crockpot Skinny Tortilla Soup


Here in Georgia our seasons don't really make sense. It's usually either Winter or Summer and sometimes both happen in one week. This week we seem to be having Winter weather with cold rainy days. All these cold days lately are making me want to eat soup for every single meal. Add to the crappy weather the fact that this week is full of Christmas celebrations and I need to desperately find some Crockpot recipes. Lately I've been craving Mexican food. The idea of an enchilada or tacos makes me salivate. Therefore, I ended up deciding to make a Crockpot Tortilla Soup. With my healthy lifestyle I'm working on now I decided to switch it up and make a "skinny" version of my favorite tortilla soup. 



It was really super easy to make. I normally wake up at 6:00am to leave my house by 6:30am for work. Based on that time range I don't really have a ton of time to meal prep, etc. in my mornings. Therefore I wanted something super easy. This recipe is one of those. The time it took me to prep the soup before throwing it in the Crockpot was probably a total of 5-10 minutes max. 



The ingredient list really wasn't that bad either for this recipe. I bought organic where possible and reduced sodium for anything that wasn't organic. This helped to minimize the salt count and calorie count on this recipe. You can make this recipe even healthier by making homemade pico instead of rotel, or boiling dry beans instead of using the canned version.


The only prep I had to do was open the cans or containers and dice my onion in my food processor. This seriously is the easiest recipe ever. Once everything was in my Crockpot I stirred everything up and set it to cook on Low for 8 hours. 


My Crockpot has a "warm" setting that it goes to once the time is up and it's finished cooking. This keeps anything I cook in the Crockpot from over cooking and burning to the edges. My Crockpot is really my best friend during the Winter. If you don't have one I highly recommend one.


The warm setting kept the soup at the perfect temperature for my husband and I to eat our dinner as soon as we finished working and working out. The smell alone of the house was amazing. I almost expected to be greeted with chips and salsa at our dinner table since we had the smell of Mexican Tortilla Soup radiating throughout the house. 


I served ours with a scoop of Wholly Guacomole 100 Calorie, Sargento Reduced Fat Cheddar, and Garden of Eatin Blue Corn Tortilla Chips. You could also top it with Sour Cream, Tortilla Strips, sliced Jalapeno Peppers, Lime wedges, or Cilantro garnish. 



Crockpot Skinny Tortilla Soup

Serves: 6
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time: 4-8 hours

Ingredients
  • 2  Tbsp minced Garlic
  • 1 medium Onion, diced
  • 16 oz can reduced-sodium Black Beans, drained & rinsed
  • 16 oz can reduced-sodium Kidney Beans, drained & rinsed
  • 8 oz can Organic Tomato Paste
  • 10 oz package of Yellow Corn, frozen
  • 2 - 10 oz cans RoTel Diced Tomatoes with Chilies
  • 4 oz can Green Chilis
  • 1 packet Reduced-Sodium Taco Seasoning
  • 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
  • 32 oz Reduced Sodium Vegetable Broth
Optional Toppings
  • Guacamole
  • Reduced Fat Sour Cream
  • Sliced Jalapeno Peppers
  • Reduced Fat Shredded Cheese
  • Cilantro, chopped
  • Lime Wedges
  • Tortilla Strips

Instructions
  1. Dice the onions and place at the bottom of the slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients. Mix Well.
  2. Cook on high for 4 hours on High or 8 hours on low.
  3. Spoon soup into bowls and top with optional toppings, if desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment