Pages

Monday, December 22, 2014

Garlic Parmesan Zucchini and Tomato Bake

Source
This year for Christmas I'm determined to go the "healthier" route for whatever I bring to the parties. Normally I would just make some cookies or drinks or casseroles. This year I'm doing my part in making the meal not just full of heavy foods that make you feel crappy afterwards. For my Christmas Celebration #1 with my family I am making a Garlic Parmesan Zucchini and Tomato Bake. I thought this would be a good addition because it's super easy to make and doesn't require a lot of ingredients. I know I personally don't have time to make super complicated dishes that take awhile to make while I'm wrapping presents, working out, getting ready, and visiting multiple families. 



All you need for this recipe is some fresh vegetables, garlic, parmesan, and a few spices most everyone has in their kitchen. The only thing I actually had to buy for this recipe was the zucchinis, squash, and tomatoes. Everything else I already had in my kitchen. After I gathered all my ingredients I got to work chopping everything. I used my favorite Joseph Knives. Today I needed the purple serrated knife for the tomatoes, and the green knife for chopping the zucchini and squash. 




Once everything was chopped I placed it all in a bowl and mixed in all the dry ingredients. I love all the beautiful colors in this recipe. Lately I've been obsessed with Eating in Color. This book truly motivates me to eat healthy and it's a great way to find recipes where I can get my servings of vegetables in. 




The original recipe I followed called for 1/3 cup of parsley or basil. I had basil on hand so I used that. All I have to say is HOLY BASIL BATMAN! The dish tasted like straight up basil with a few vegetables thrown in. I will be remaking this recipe in the near future for a side dish for dinner and I will be using only 1-2 tablespoons of basil. I'm 99% sure it would taste best with 1 tablespoon of basil and a little olive oil. Or even try making it stove top with a little olive oil to saute the vegetables. Try it out and let me know what you think!!



Garlic Parmesan Zucchini and Tomato Bake

Serves: 5
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25-35 minutes

Ingredients

  • 2 large or 2.5 lbs Zucchini, cut into quarters
  • 10 oz grape tomatoes, cut in halves or 2 large tomatoes, diced
  • 7 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1/2 cup Reduced Fat Parmesan Cheese
  • 1 tsp basil/thyme/oregano, dried
  • 1/2 tsp ground black peper
  • 1 tbsp parley/basil, finely chopped
  • Cooking Spray
Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8X8 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients, except parsley/basil, and stir to combine.
  3. Transfer to a prepared baking dish and bake uncovered for 25 minutes, then check for doneness. Add 10 minutes if you like well cooked vegetables. Remove from the oven, garnish with basil or parsley and serve hot/warm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment