Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2015

My Thursday Top Ten - Tofu Recipes


As a Vegetarian I have to be really creative with my meals to get enough protein and nutrients in. One of my favorite sources for protein is Tofu. Tofu is also low in fat and gluten free. I like my Tofu extra firm, but you can always try the regular firm, lite firm, tofu plus, cubed, or silken. For the most part in the past I mainly used my Tofu in stir fry, but lately I'm finding all kinds of new tofu recipes to switch things up. Here are 10 of my favorite tofu recipes that are out there.




10. Crunchy and Spicy Baked Tofu Nuggets - These are a great alternative to Chicken Nuggets for the vegetarian or vegan food lover or even a low carb version of tater tots. I'm used to eating my tofu lightly toasted in stir-fries so I love the extra crunch you get with these nuggets. The spices you add in also give you that little kick to make it interesting without needing to guzzle a whole glass of milk to cool off. 




9. Loaded Crispy Tofu Tacos - I love mexican food any night of the week, so when I found this tofu taco recipe I instantly jumped on it. Add to the fact that it's a tofu recipe with Sriracha and I was in total heaven. If you have not tried a recipe with honey, tofu, and Sriracha yet you should probably stop what you are doing and go make something now. It's literally that good. These tacos are so good that even meat eaters who are scared of tofu or think it's "gross" will love them and be asking for seconds.


8. BBQ Tofu - This super easy BBQ Tofu recipe is a great solution when you are craving that sweet BBQ flavor, but don't feel like having to tear up some pork or chicken to make your own BBQ sandwich. I've eaten these as a main dish with broccoli and baked beans or on a whole wheat bun with slaw. They are amazing either way. 



7. General Tso's Tofu - This recipe is a great option when you're craving chinese, but don't want the yucky feeling you get after leaving most chinese restaurants. This recipe turned out mildly spicy so it's another one that won't have sensitive eaters running for the milk jug. Plus this recipe is super easy to make and super cheap. Most of the ingredients are items you probably already have around the house. I only had to buy 3 things which cost me around $5 and left me with enough to make this recipe many, many, many times.



6. Nemo's No Fish Tofu Tacos - I added this recipe for all the families out there that go vegetarian or just want to try out something new. Maybe your kids are super picky about the smell of fish or just like their food with cool shapes, yet you don't want to buy the pre-shaped frozen food full of all kinds of unhealthy crap. This is the perfect solution. They are so cute and easy to make. If you don't already have a fish cookie cutter you can buy one for pretty cheap on Amazon



5. Vegan Spinach Artichoke Lasagna Rolls - This is a great healthier alternative to your usual lasagna or lasagna rolls. Here you use tofu instead of ricotta for that smooth creamy center. Once you try it I promise you will never go back. I was shocked at how good it actually tasted and it had way less calories than my normal lasagna. 



4. Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse - Who knew you could make a dessert as tasty as mousse out of tofu? Not this lady, until recently. I'm here to say that this recipe does not disappoint. It's delicious and only 4 ingredients (1 extra ingredient if you want a peanut garnish). Hello, that's like the easiest dessert ever. I'm thinking the next time I make it I'll also try subbing in PB2 for the creamy peanut butter to make it even more healthy. 



3. Southwestern Tofu Scramble  - This is a great alternative to regular scrambled eggs for any vegans out there or those that just don't like eggs. This is a hearty breakfast that definitely does not leave you wanting. Also with the tofu and black bean mixture you get a major protein boost to start your day off right. 



2. Low Carb Tofu Fries - I just recently found this recipe for Tofu Fries and I almost died from excitement. I love finding new low carb recipes to switch out items that I was previously eating. Who knew you could make french fries out of tofu and it would actually taste good, let alone taste like fries. These are amazing. The Asian Ketchup recipe was a little too spicy for my taste so I ended up using regular ketchup to dip these yummy treats in. I will definitely be making these next summer during our many pool parties. 



1. Sweet and Sour Tofu Stir-Fry - Last but not least is my all time favorite Sweet and Sour Tofu Stir-Fry recipe. This is a definite regular in my house for dinners. We love switching it up to try different veggies with it and even going super low carb and nixing the rice. Whatever way you make it this recipe will never disappoint. It's spicy, sweet, and perfect for a quick and easy dinner recipe. 



No comments:

Post a Comment